Recipe by Ducky
Saw this made on the Barefoot Contessa and just had to try it. We've now had this for a couple of years for the Thanksgiving meal and it tastes wonderful. And it is so simple to prepare. It does appear "soupy" when finished cooking but will thicken upon cooling so no need to cook until it appears thick and gel-like. Times do not include cool time.
Top Review by scancan
This was a good relish although I think I would have preferred it without the lemon, next time I'll try it with a little more orange and a little more sugar as it still tasted quite tart.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries, cleaned and picked over
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored and chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Over low heat, cook cranberries, sugar and 1 C water in saucepan for approximately 5 minutes, or until skins begin to pop.
- Add apple, zests and juices, cooking additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add nuts and raisins.
- Let cool.
- Serve chilled.
- Note: This will appear thin and soupy when finished cooking, however, it will thicken up as it cools so do not cook until it appears thick.