Recipe by Michele in NJ
A very economical and tasty cake. Full of cranberry flavor! The suprise ingredient of mayonnaise makes this a nice moist cake.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
GREAT CAKE, & easy to make! Can't remember ever making a cake with mayo, & now I know what I've been missing! The OJ & zest added a nice touch, as did the cranberry sauce in the frosting! Definitely a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for on of my adopted orphans at the end of this Spring's PAC]
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" tube pan.
- Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cranberry sauce fort the frosting.
- Add remaining cranberry sauce, nuts, mayonnaise and orange rind to the flour mixture.
- Mix well.
- Stir in orange juice.
- Pour into tube pan and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool and frost.
- To make frosting, soften the butter.
- Add sugar and cranberry sauce.
- Beat until creamy and frost the cooled cake.