Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This one came from an old school cook book. Really good bread. Great for bake sales and gifts. You can add Cool Whip for a dessert, or slice it for a really interesting sandwich.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 2 1⁄2 cups cranberries
- 2 cups nuts (your choice)
- In a bowl, sift the first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Mix the next 4 ingredients together in another bowl.
- Fold flour mixture with orange juice mixture, then stir in bananas, cranberries and nuts.
- Pour into 2 lightly greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- *Note: I haven't made this bread in quite awhile and for some reason my recipe doesn't have the bake time written down, so I'm going by the bake time on a banana bread and a cranberry bread.
- I suggest checking at 30 minutes to be on the safe side.
This recipe was wonderful! I couldn't resist cutting into it about 10 minutes after it was out of the oven. I'd like to see it have just a little more orange flavor, though. Maybe some zest next time, to give it just a little more oomph! Edited to add... my apologies! After coming back here again I realized I left my comment on the wrong recipe! Seeing others mention "vinegar" made me wonder WTH??? I used a different recipe than this one! Sorry!
delicious!! I used splenda instead of sugar and only 2 cups. two more bananas just because they were too ripe. Loved the texture and flavor. Have used vinegar in blueberry muffin recipe don't know what it does but will continue to use in recipe.
We loved this bread. I had some left over cranberries and over ripe bananas that I needed to use up. I found this recipe in the Best of the Best From California cookbook and it gives credit to Durham's Favorite Recipes. I came to add it to Zaar and this is practically the same recipe- just a couple of changes slightly less sugar, less mashed banana, and a couple of teaspoons of orange zest. I would definitely make this again. The orange and cranberries make a regular banana bread into something special.