Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Goes well with hearty soups and stews.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Mix together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another smaller bowl, mix together eggs, yogurt, oil, milk, and mustard.
- Add to the flour mixture; also add cheese and onions.
- Mix just until moistened; batter will be lumpy.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until tests done.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minute.
- Remove bread from pan and this is best served warm.
- This bread goes well with hearty stews and soups.
This is a wonderful, flavorful bread! As you said, perfect with a nice hearty soup (I served it with Taco Chicken Soup). The pepper and cheese were great and the mustard was a nice subtle touch. Mine took an extra 10 minutes to bake. Thanks for posting this yummy recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs November 2008