Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
Serve for brunch, lunch, a light dinner or anytime you get a hankering for CRAB. Easy to prepare; always a favourite with the kids, especially teens and their pals. You may wish to add additional Tabasco, or other hot sauce. The flavour of this mixture is mild - medium. All a matter of personal taste. Serve with a variety of melons to add coolness to the meal.
Top Review by love4culinary
These were realllllllly good, but I think next time i might leave out some of the olives. I, personally, would enjoy this recipe better w/out the olives. The flavors are excellent, and the addition of crabmeat to this is quite unique, but tasty!
- 1 (10 count) package10 inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) package crab or 1 (8 ounce) package imitation crabmeat
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (powdered)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (your flavour preference)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarse chopped
- 0.5 (9 ounce) package fresh spinach, stems removed
- 2 fresh roma tomatoes, skinned and chopped (any size)
- 1 medium length fresh carrot, grated
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted
- 1 sweet red pepper, roasted
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, roasted
- 6 -8 pitted black olives, coarse-chopped
- 6 -8 pitted green olives, coarse-chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 -4 fresh green onions, coarse chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup extra old cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the tops off the green, red, and yellow peppers.
- Place peppers on a shallow pan in the oven and roast until the skin begins to bubble and separates from the flesh- about 15 minutes.
- Turn frequently to allow all sides to roast.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Peel the peppers, make one slit in the peppers to open.
- Remove and discard the seeds.
- Coarse-chop the roasted peppers and set aside.
- This is the only time you will use your oven.
- CHEDDAR CHEESE: Shred cheese and set aside in a separate bowl.
- RICOTTA CHEESE MIXTURE: Wash the spinach leaves well; remove and discard the stems from the spinach.
- Do not dry spinach.
- Place in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- There should be sufficient water left on the leaves, to cook the spinach until it wilts; additional water may be added if you feel it necessary.
- Remove cooked spinach from pot and place in a colander over a bowl, to drain.
- Squeeze any excess water from the spinach.
- Chop the spinach finely.
- Mix well with Ricotta Cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, and set aside.
- CRAB MEAT MIXTURE: In a large skillet, heat, the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute crab meat, and chopped green onions. Remove from heat and set aside.
- TOMATO MIXTURE: To the pan add: skinned and chopped Roma tomatoes; grated fresh carrot, black and green olives, celery, Tabasco, Cayenne and salt.
- Mix well and cook, 5- 7 minutes; just long enough to heat the ingredients though.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl: Add Ricotta cheese mixture, crab meat mixture, tomato mixture; and fresh cilantro; turn over a few times to mix the ingredients.
- Scoop onto tortillas, make tidy pockets by folding bottom up and then the two side inches.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Serve with beverage of your choice.