Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Needs only a salad to make a complete meal.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped drained roasted red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat
- 8 (1 inch) cupscrustless bread, cubes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Butter a 2 1/2 qt casserole dish.
- Mix eggs and half and half.
- Saute onion in butter till soft,about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and garlic; sauté 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in thyme.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Add crab and bread cubes and toss to combine.
- Add egg mixture, Old Bay, and pepper; mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle strata with cheese.
- Bake until brown and puffed, about 1 hour.
I make with salt instead of Old Bay, and also the addition of 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried) added with the thyme. Yummy! Fits well in an 8 by 8 baking dish. Let it stand for about 30 minutes before serving it.
It's good, but a bit "eggy"; I wanted more of a crab taste. I'll make it again, albeit with some revisions.