Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another quick, easy, tasty casserole I have had for years
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, lightly crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme, lightly crushed
- 1⁄4 cup grated onion
- 1 cup sliced cleaned fresh mushrooms (sauteed in 1 Tsp extra virgin olive oil) or 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups milk
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen crabmeat, thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, more to taste
- Spread spinach in bottom of a well buttered square 8" baking dish.
- Combine mayonnaise, flour, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, rosemary and thyme in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and mushrooms, and cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add milk, and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in eggs.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Top with crab and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
This was a yummy, slightly different dish. I thought the mayo sauce was interesting. I used 1 onion, sauteed, no mushrooms, fresh spinach--which of course looked like a ton until it cooked down; and I didn't have the suggested cheese, so I used a mix of mozzarella, muenster, and ricotta. It turned out rather saucy, which was fine, and we found it good served on toast (kind of like a hot beef sandwich, only nicely different). Perhaps atop rice would work as well.