This is a recipe that is a favorite of many of us coastal Delaware natives. Our newly elected Vice -President, Joe Biden, has more than likely been served this when he came to political dinners. There are many varied crab imperial recipes, but this is one we enjoy. I hope you will try it and tell me what you think.
- 1 lb backfin jumbo lump crab meat
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (do NOT use low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers, sauteed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (do NOT use low-fat)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Gently go through the lump crab meat for any shell fragments. Set crab meat aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt and egg together until well blended.
- Fold in the sauteed peppers and drained pimentos.
- Very carefully, fold in the crab meat lumps until coated with mayonnaise mixture.
- Place in buttered casserole dish.
- Casserole Topping:.
- In small bowl, mix together the egg yolk and the mayonnaise.
- Now spoon on top of the casserole filled with crab mixture.
- Sprinkle the Old Bay seasoning on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned. May serve with lemon wedges.