Recipe by themami
A simple recipe that can be customized to your tastes simply by adding your favorite spices. Great for any occasion, especially when finger food is encouraged!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded crabmeat
- 1 cup baby shrimp
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 loaf Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mayo and butter first, mix well.
- Drain crab, shrimp, and chilies.
- Combine cheese, crab/shrimp, and chilies. Add seasoning to taste.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise, spread dip on top of both sides of bread, sprinkle more cheese on top of the bread halves.
- Cook in oven at 350 for 10 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
- Take off foil, turn oven to broil for 5 minutes- watch carefully! Cook until slightly browned.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Possible Seasonings:.
- - Southwest Style - Use chopped cilantro (1 cup), crushed real garlic (2 cloves), crushed red pepper flakes, a little pepper to taste. I have also substituted the canned green chilies for diced fresh jalapeños for a spicy taste.
- - Italian Style - Use oregano, thyme, and/or basil. There are generic "Italian Seasoning" spices most people have for things such as spaghetti. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese instead of using the mozzarella again.
- - Other variations depend on your taste! Use crab, shrimp, or even tuna with any combination of your favorite spices. Use different kind of chilies- different levels of spicy depending on your tastes. You could do a red based crab and cheese bread- add diced tomatoes and or combine a can of tomato paste instead of mayo. Or for a creamier version , substitute softened cream cheese for the mayo.