Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this recipe for New Year's Eve, and it turned out great!
- Preheat your oven to 300°F Make sure you have a kettle of boiling water ready. Line a shallow baking pan with a small kitchen towel.
- Use a pairing knife to slit the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into a medium saucepan.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to mix. Put the pan over medium-low heat and heat the mixture until bubbles form around the edges and steam rises from the surface. Remove from the heat and let the mixture steep for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks, salt, and 1/4 of sugar in a large bowl until smooth and blended.
- Pour the cream, a little at a time, into the egg mixture, while stirring until blended.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve over the bowl.
- Divide the mixture among four 6 oz. ramekins and put the ramekins in the lined baking dish.
- Add the boiling water to fill the pan halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil and place the pan on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Bake the custard for 25-30 minutes until the custard is just set around the edges.
- Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Put 2 teaspoons of sugar on top of each custard and caramelize the sugar with either a blow torch or the broiler in your oven. Serve immediately.