Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
Hearty and spicy.
- 2 lbs dried pinto beans (4 16 oz. cans of pinto beans may be substituted)
- 2 lbs diced beef (London Broil makes excellent chili)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (minced or pressed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (4 -7 ounce) candiced green chili peppers (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Soak beans overnight; drain and place in Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add water to cover by 1 inch and add onions, chili powder, and brown sugar.
- Cook over medium or low heat for 3 to 4 hours or until tender.
- Be certain to add water as needed.
- In a heavy skillet, brown beef, green pepper, chopped celery, and garlic together and add to beans.
- Add remaining ingredients.