Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Breakfast comes early so I assemble this casserole the night before and pop in the oven in the morning while I inhale my coffee! This was designed for my meat and potatoes only cowboy BUT you can add anything to it in the meat layer. Very very adaptable and cheap!
Top Review by Rita~
This was very good. I did find the topping a little too crisp. I would suggest topping the egg mixture at the end over everything for I found that the top did not get soaked with the liquid. How much butter is used to top the bread? I baked for 40 minutes. I did halve the recipe and served at least 4 people. Used prosciutto. Thanks.
- 12 slices bread
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups colby or 16 slices American cheese
- 1 lb ham, chopped (any breakfast meat would work) or 1 lb sausage (any breakfast meat would work)
- 2 cups milk or 8 ounces sour cream or 8 ounces yogurt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9x13 greased pan with 8 slices of bread and top with half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle meat over cheese. You could also use any other type of meat you prefer. Turkey bacon cooked and crumbled is good too!
- Mix eggs, milk or sour cream or yogurt, ground mustard, and salt and pepper in a bowl until well blended and pour over cheese.
- Top with the rest of the cheese and 8 more slices of bread, pressing down so the egg bubbles up and moistens it a little.
- Spray top of bread with butter flavored cooking spray or spread with a little butter covering the whole surface of the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the middle of casserole looks cooked. Knife inserted in middle will come out with melted cheese but not with ‘wet’ egg when done.
- Note: Like I said I made this recipe up for my meat and taters cowboy but you can add mushrooms, onions, green pepper etc. if desired. Just throw it into the meat layer.