Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 48 mins
This is a delicious Southwest type one dish meal. There are several steps, but it is well worth the effort.
- 2 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- salt and black pepper
- fresh cilantro (chopped) (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a stock pot over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4 inch crumbles. Remove from stockpot with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off drippings.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions and garlic and cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Add bell peppers and cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Return beef crumbles to stockpot and add cumin, oregano, thyme and red pepper. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, beef broth, beer, tomato paste and honey. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Uncover stockpot and continue simmering 30 more minutes, or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the black beans and cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until beans are heated through.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro if desired.