From Bon Appetit, June 1996. For an even healthier version, use whole wheat couscous instead. Accompaniment to chicken, shrimp, grilled tofu, etc. Makes a large serving ideal for your next picnic or potluck!
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups couscous
- 6 ounces dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground allspice
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted pistachios, toasted then chopped coarsely
- 3⁄4 cup green onion
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Combine broth, olive oil and salt in medium size saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Combine the couscous, dried apricots and spices in a large serving bowl. Add the boiling water. Cover immediately and let stand until the water is absorbed; approximately 5 minutes.
- Uncover couscous and fluff with fork. Cool.
- Bring salad to room temperature and stir in the pistachios, green onions and basil ribbons.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.