1/1 Photo of Couscous Sausage Mediterranean
This is a version of my husband Mike's basic couscous dish that he often makes. He generally puts it together with whatever we have on hand, but this version came out so well that I had to make sure to write it up. I'd be happy if he made this one weekly!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup diced raw onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces your favorite seasoned sausage, crumbled (can use veggie sausage)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh french basil
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, for vegetarian)
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon juice or lime juice, to taste
- 1Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens, about 4-5 minutes.
- 2Add the crumbled sausage and cook until it is mostly browned, about 7-9 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Careful not to let it burn!) Reduce heat to medium.
- 4Add the tomato and basil and cook until tomato softens, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 5Quick now, cook the couscous: bring broth to a boil, add couscous; remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir and fluff with a fork.
- 6Mix cooked sausage mixture with the cooked couscous and crumbled feta (if using). Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and squeeze over a bit of freshly squeeze lemon or lime juice. Serve!
- 7Servings: about 6.
- 8Mike's suggestions for substitutions/additions: 1 Tbsp finely chopped calamata olive, chopped mushroom, chopped artichoke heart, chopped sundried tomato, sautéed fennel, spinach, chopped cucumber.
- 9As far as sausage goes, we use our homemade lamb-based French Merguez (also posted here at http://www.food.com/recipe/french-merguez-sausages-culinary-communion-340487) which is astoundingly good. But a flavorful Italian sausage would be good, too. Seasoned turkey sausage would be fine if you want to make it even leaner. Or hey, mmm, chorizo! You can even use vegetarian no-meat sausage, if you like - just pay attention to the seasonings so it doesn't turn out tasting bland.
- 10Re tomatoes: I dislike cooked tomato peel, so I prefer to not use cherry tomatoes for this dish. Regular chopped fresh tomato is my preference.
- 11This is a really versatile recipe, you can substitute ingredients to achieve whatever flavor profile you want. Also, we get our couscous in bulk because otherwise it's far too expensive to buy in prepackaged little boxes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous Sausage Mediterranean
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.1
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 602.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.3 g