Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A stunning dish for Christmas.
Make and share this Couscous and Aubergine (Eggplant) on Croute recipe from Food.com.
- 100 g couscous
- 5 g ready to eat dried apricots
- 25 g raisins
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 1 large aubergine, sliced lengthways
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 75 g sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 375 g ready made puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 100 g firm goat cheese, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Place couscous, apricots and raisins in a bowl and cover with stock. Mix and set aside.
- Heat grill Brush the aubergines with 2 tbsp of the oil and grill for 5 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Grill pepper until skin is charred and place in a plastic baggie. Leave to cool. When cool remove the skin halve, seeds and small dice.
- Heat remaining oil and cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add cinnamon and coriander and fry for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Fluff up couscous and add the peppers, tomatoes, onion mix, almonds, parsley and seasoning (if desired).
- Place pastry on a floured surface and roll out a 12 inch square. Keep any trimmings.
- Cut in half and place one half on a baking sheet. Spread half the cranberry sauce over leaving an inch border around the edge.
- Place half the couscous mix over the cranberry mix and level off as much as possible (make sure to leave the border).
- Lay over half the aubergine slices and and half the goats cheese.
- Repeat again with the remaining couscous, aubergine and goats cheese.
- Top with the remaining cranberry sauce and brush with half the egg.
- Run a lattice cutter over the remaining half of the pastry leaving and inch border.
- Lift the lattice onto the filling and gently stretch until the two pastry borders meet and brush with the egg.
- Use the trimmings to make star shapes to decorate.
- Bake on the top shelf for 20 minutes until golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.