Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This simple country style recipe was sent to me by an Indian friend. The use of a pressure cooker cuts the cooking time, so the whole dish is finished in under half an hour. You won't find this food in an Indian restaurant, as it is very authentic. Tastey, serve with plain boiled rice.
- 750 g chicken, cubed
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml garam masala
- 4.92 ml fresh gingerroot, grated
- 4.92 ml garlic, crushed to a paste
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml coriander powder
- 14.79 ml coconut, dessicated non sweetened
- 300 ml water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 150 g lentils, precooked (bottled)
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 14.79 ml coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and 2 tsp garam masala. Fry till the onions just start to colour.
- Add the ginger, garlic, tumeric and chicken. Stir to coat the chicken with the spices.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, coconut, water and stock cube.
- Place lid on cooker and bring up to presure, cook for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure, add the lentils, stir through to allow the lentils to warm, add the last of the garam masala stir. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Serve garnished with the chopped coriander leaves.