Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original version of this recipe was passed down from my Grandmother back in Missouri. I've made some improvements. I'll let you figure out what you want to put it on; biscuits are my favorite but this is great on just about anything you might want to put gravy on. I also use Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage and add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes but those are entirely optional.
- 44.37 ml butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 453.59 g pork sausage
- 88.74 ml flour
- 2.46 ml seasoning salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 946.0 ml milk
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet, add finely chop onions and cook over medium-high heat until they become translucent.
- Add sausage and cook until done; drain excess, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining dry ingredients.Mix evenly and cook until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly stir in Worcestershire sauce and milk; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until gravy reaches desired thickness, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve.
I make sausage gravy a couple times a month, and this was a good recipe...but I did make a few changes. I don't normally make this large a batch of gravy. I used 2 pounds of Bob Evans Savory Sage Sausage. I didn't boil the sausage because I think the grease from the sausage gives the gravy it's flavor. Since I didn't drain the sausage grease, I didn't add the 1 1/2 cups of shortening. I only used 1 3/4 cups of flour and 3/4 gallon of milk. This gave me the perfect consistency for my tastes. This was the first time I used Kitchen Bouquet in my sausage gravy, and I liked the flavor it gave. I used some over biscuits and home fries and froze the rest. I've will added this to my recipe book with my additions. THANK YOU!! I can do the happy food dance!! Grpa !
Nice sausage gravy. I don't usually add onions to mine but I liked the variation. Thanks keaolyen for a nice meal. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
Good reliable recipe for sausage gravy. This would be great for someone who doesn't know how to make gravy. made for PAC Fall 2012.