1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From Family Circle, Feb 2011. I added red wine to stretch the sauce and enhance flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, trimmed, quartered
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 1/2 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon stone ground dijon mustard
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut into coins
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cooked egg noodles (optional)
- 1Heat butter in a large pot over medium. Add onions and mushrooms, cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2Toss beef with 3 tablespoons flour. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pot, increasing heat to medium-high. Brown half the beef for 2 minutes. Repeat oil and beef browning with remaining meat. Transfer to the onion bowl.
- 3Reduce heat to medium. Whisk 1/2 can of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in the pot, scraping up brown bits. Add the mixture from the bowl back to the pot along with remaining broth and optional red wine. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- 4Uncover and stir in carrots. Cover and cook 45 minutes more.
- 5In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons water and remaining 1 tablespoon flour, along with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir into stew and cook 3 minutes until thickened.
- 6Serve over noodles if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Dijon Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.1
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 104.8 mg
- Sodium 265.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 32.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth
stone ground dijon mustard