Recipe by Tara
I have made cottage rolls often but couldnt find a recipe here on Zaar so I thought I would post my old standby. It is like a corned beef flavour wise but it is a ham made from pork shoulder. It is much cheaper than pork roast, ham or corned beef usually.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
Actually made this in the crock pot on low for 8 hours using a whole head of chunked cabbage & 3 peeled quartered potatoes, and the rest as directed it was a nice fall comfort food type dinner. Thanks for posting!
- 1 (3 lb) cottage ham (Cottage Roll)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced in 2 inch lengths
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- 2 cups largely chopped cabbage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cottage roll in roasting pan or crockpot.
- Surround it with potatoes, carrots, onion and cabbage if you like.
- You can add as many as will fit or what you need for supper or use any size cottage roll that will fit.
- Sprinkle with pepper and cover roast 3/4 with water.
- cover and Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours or in crockpot on high 6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- Cottage roll should fall apart like a pot roast.
- Serve with mustard (dijon is my favorite).
- The leftover stock can be spiced up as a gravy or makes a great bean or pea soup base.