1/1 Photo of Cottage Pie
1 hr 5 mins
When my husband makes mashed potatoes, he makes mashed potatoes - we have them for days on end. I found this recipe in the "Staff Meals from Chanterelle" cookbook and made it my own; it calls for making your own mashed potatoes, but I used the leftover ones. I am not including the instructions for making the mashed potatoes, as I will always be using his own ones (so sub your own recipe). However - this was an absolutely DELICIOUS take on comfort food, perfect for a chilly night. It also went very quickly in terms of prep (no making of mashed potatoes, remember), making it easy for a weeknight meal. We loved it, and I love that I could use ketchup on it. Every time we make mashed potatoes for something else, we're making this the next night (but I would also make mashed potatoes for it, it was that good).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- mashed potatoes, made from 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs ground beef, lean and preferably grass fed
- 1/2 cup ketchup, plus extra for serving
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1Have your mashed potatoes prepared, and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add ground beef, breaking up well with spoon and stirring frequently, and cook until meat has lost its color and is beginning to brown.
- 3Remove skillet from heat, and pour off any fat or juices that have collected. Season beef with ketchup, paprika, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a 13x9 baking dish, and spread meat in an even layer.
- 4Wipe out skillet and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Add peas, corn, and cream to skillet, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until cream is reduced and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour the mixture over the meat in baking dish.
- 6Spread the potatoes over the vegetables and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese. Bake until heated through and potatoes are nicely browned, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately with ketchup.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 937.1
- Calories from Fat 631
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 279.7 mg
- Sodium 640.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 58.6 g