Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These scones are perfect with chili and lots of butter--OR pour chili over scones.
Make and share this Cornmeal Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter using pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk so dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly 10 times.
- Pat or roll into 7 inch circle on ungreased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Score top into 8 wedges, cutting down halfway to the bottom.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet, carefully separate wedges.
- Serve warm.
These are perfect..light, tender & had a nice crunch to the outside due to the cornmeal. Love scones & these will be a regular at meal time. Really a pleasant change from rolls & biscuits
Light, delicious and melt-in-the-mouth. had these last night with chilli beans. This will be a much used recipe.
I gotta agree with Sueie and Iron Bloomers- love the crunchy exterior and the moist delicate crumb. Served this with Muligatawney soup and the family raved. Then I took 'em in a new direction adiing 2t. of lemon zest and 3T. of sugar to the mix. I then served them with Harvest Pumpkin Butter (#71837) at a buffet I catered. They were a hit! Next time I'm gonna try these with lime zest and jalapeno and serve with chili as suggested. Thanks for such a versatile recipe.