Recipe by Derf
These scones are perfect with chili and lots of butter--OR pour chili over scones.
Top Review by Iron Bloomers
These are perfect..light, tender & had a nice crunch to the outside due to the cornmeal. Love scones & these will be a regular at meal time. Really a pleasant change from rolls & biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1⁄2 cup cold margarine, cut in 8 pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter using pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk so dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead lightly 10 times.
- Pat or roll into 7 inch circle on ungreased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Score top into 8 wedges, cutting down halfway to the bottom.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet, carefully separate wedges.
- Serve warm.