Recipe by ClareVH
The cornmeal adds a rustic texture and flavor to this pound cake. I like to serve this with lightly sweetened strawberries and whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. For good results, be sure to use cake flour and sift before measuring. Adapted from Sunset Italian Cookbook, 1981 Edition.
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 2⁄3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- additional powdered sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Generously grease and flour an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pan and set aside.
- Place butter and the 2 2/3 cups of powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat until creamy.
- Beat in vanilla; then add eggs and egg yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the sifted cake flour with the cornmeal, then add to the egg mixture in three portions, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- bake in 325F oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool cake in pan for 3 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack and sift powdered sugar over warm cake.
- Cool completely, and cut into thin slices to serve.