Recipe by Chef TotalFark
I found this recipe on Recipe Gold Mine (recipegoldmine.com) after a request from another Zaar member for a cornbread mix similar to Jiffy Brand. This is a do-ahead mix that can make corn muffins, cornmeal biscuits, and cornbread with a few additions. The mix will last for 2-6 months, tightly covered (Tupperware/Ziploc bag) in the fridge.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Thanks so much for this great money-saver! Although I'm keeping the various attached recipes on hand, the first time around I used it to make a cornbread pudding (that calls for a Jiffy Cornbead Mix), & that turned out GREAT! Definitely keeping this recipe around! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together until well mixed. Cut in fat until well blended. Place in a glass jar. Keep tightly closed in a cool place. Mixture will keep for 1 to 6 months on the shelf in dry weather. In hot and humid weather, store in the refrigerator.
- Cornmeal Muffins-Grease 8 medium-size muffin cups. Combine 2-1/4 cups Cornmeal Mix, 2/3 cup water and 1 beaten egg. Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Makes 8.
- Cornmeal Biscuits-Add about 1/2 cup water to 2 cups Cornmeal Mix to make a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F for 12 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.
- Cornbread-Combine 4 1/2 cups Cornmeal Mix, 2 beaten eggs and 1 1/3 cups water. Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Pour into a greased pan, about 8 inches square. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Serves 12.
- Blueberry Cornbread-Add 1 cup fresh or partially-thawed frozen blueberries to Cornbread batter and mix gently. Bake as directed.
- Cheese Cornbread-After turning Cornbread batter into pan, sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese and sesame seed. Bake as directed.