Recipe by ellie_
This recipe uses organic flours purchased at farmer's markets or in a natural food store. Recipe source: Edible SantaFe
Top Review by MsSally
This was a very good basic cornbread recipe. I used stone ground white cornmeal and I used applesauce instead of oil and egg beaters instead of egg. I cooked it in a 8" heavily seasoned cast iron skillet. YUMMY!
- 1 cup organic flour
- 1 cup whole cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients (flour - sugar), tossing with a fork to combine.
- In a small bowl beat egg with oil until combined and then whisk in the water.
- Meanwhile heat a cast iron skillet in the oven until hot.
- Oil pan with 1 tablespoon oil and then return to oven while mixing the batter.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients, mixing to combine.
- Pour batter into hot skillet and bake for 15 minutes or until top is brown and firm.
- Or instead of baking it in the skillet you can use an oiled muffin pan and make 9-12 muffins.