Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a flavorful, moist cornbread.
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped drained sun-dried tomato packed in oil, 1/4 cup oil reserved
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted, cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter two 9 1/2-inch-diameter deep-dish pie dishes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, sage, pepper, salt, baking powder and baking soda in large bowl and whisk to blend.
- Combine buttermilk, sun-dried tomatoes, reserved sun-dried tomato oil, butter, eggs and egg yolk in medium bowl and whisk to blend.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients.
- Divide cornbread batter between prepared dishes.
- Bake corn breads until tops begin to brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Corn breads can be prepared 6 hours ahead.
- To reheat, cover with aluminum foil.
- Reheat covered in 350°F oven about 10 minutes.
- Cut cornbreads into wedges.
- Transfer to towel-lined basket; serve warm.
So moist! And the sun-dried tomatoes were an added pleasure. This was not overly sweet (that some cornbreads are). Thanks for a great recipe I will use again soon.