This is wonderful anytime of the year. I can hardly put away the cornbread recipe in my sister's recipe file box before having to make more Cornbread Salad. Cooking time is for cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups cornbread (we use Hodgson's Mill Yellow, do not use sweet)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening (bacon drippings or shortening)
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk (half water, half e.milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Add to baked cooled cornbread
- 1Cook bacon first, then cornbread.
- 2Cornbread baked in oven in heavy black iron pot uncovered.
- 3Put the 2 T shortening or bacon drippings in hot iron pot let melt then pour into cornbread batter and mix.
- 4Pour into hot skillet.
- 5Bake cornbread for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- 6While cornbread bakes chop the egg, bacon, tomato, bell pepper, onions and celery.
- 7Let cornbread cool, crumble into bite size pieces.
- 8Fold in all ingredients.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.1
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 210.3 mg
- Sodium 970.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: