Recipe by Justmez2
This is wonderful anytime of the year. I can hardly put away the cornbread recipe in my sister's recipe file box before having to make more Cornbread Salad. Cooking time is for cornbread.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornbread (we use Hodgson's Mill Yellow, do not use sweet)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening (bacon drippings or shortening)
- 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated milk (half water, half e.milk)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Add to baked cooled cornbread
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -6 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon first, then cornbread.
- Cornbread baked in oven in heavy black iron pot uncovered.
- Put the 2 T shortening or bacon drippings in hot iron pot let melt then pour into cornbread batter and mix.
- Pour into hot skillet.
- Bake cornbread for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- While cornbread bakes chop the egg, bacon, tomato, bell pepper, onions and celery.
- Let cornbread cool, crumble into bite size pieces.
- Fold in all ingredients.