Recipe by acolleen
This cornbread is sweet and delicious. Try it plain first. Vegan and gluten free. The almonds and cornstarch replace the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and all purpose flour.
Top Review by Jesusfoodie
You may be hesitating and thinking, "Is this REALLY going to work?". But don't. It works!! It's delicious!! Instead of refined sugar, I used palm sugar. It was sweet and moist, scrumptious!! Thanks for sharing.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (60 raw almonds)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (reduce for low sugar dietary needs)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water (warm or hot)
- Finely chop the almonds, the add them (dry) to a blender. Blend until a fine meal consistency. Add the water and blend until smooth. Do not strain.
- In a glass baking bowl or cassarole dish, combine all dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Add the heavy almond milk mixture from the blender to the bowl of dry ingredients. Blend well.
- Bake at 400 deg F, 12-15 minutes, until golden on top. (No need to preheat or grease anything.).