Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a 1980's BHG Magazine
- 1 lb frozen fish fillet
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chili peppers
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- Thaw fish. Cut into 4 X 1 inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, soda, and salt.
- Add onion and chili peppers.
- Beat together buttermilk and eggs.
- Stir into cornmeal mixture along with shortening.
- Spread batter in greased 12 X 7 1/2 X 2 inch baking dish.
- Place fish in rows on top of batter; press into batter.
- Stir together butter and mustard.
- Spread over fish.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in oven 20 minutes.