Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found in the Miami Herald. The article exaulted the deliciousness of the chorizo - fresh chorizo made by a Miami company, Productos De La Sierra. It's available in six flavor profiles, Argentine (our choice), Colombian, Cuban, Spanish, Mexican and Italian, at South Florida supermarkets including Publix, Sedano, President, Milan's and Bravo. Going to see if that chorizo can be shipped or ordered up here. The dressing can be assembled and refrigerated a day in advance.
- 12 cups cornbread, cooked & crumbled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, fresh, casing removed and meat chopped
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped fresh
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cornbread in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the oil and the thyme and sage. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the crumbled bread on 2 rimmed baking sheets; bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally. Cool and return to the bowl.
- Butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Meanwhile, cook chorizo in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to the bowl with the bread.
- Add onions and celery to the skillet and sauté over medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in cranberries and cook about 5 minutes more. Gently fold the vegetables, the pecans and parsley into the bread mixture with rubber spatula.
- Whisk the broth with the egg, and drizzle over the bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Transfer to baking dish and cover tightly with buttered foil. Bake in upper third of oven 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until top is golden, about 15 minutes more.