Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got the recipe from Dr. Weil's. This vegan alternative can be spiced up with chopped jalapenos or green chile for a delicious Southwestern twist.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal (organic and stone ground, if possible)
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, plus a little extra for oiling the skillet
- Heat oven to 425Â° F. Lightly oil a cast-iron skillet with a little canola oil. Heat it in the oven while you mix the cornbread batter.
- In a large bowl stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Add the boiling water mixed with 2 tablespoons canola oil and stir to mix, but do not overbeat. Add additional hot water if necessary to make a light batter.
- Spoon batter into the hot cast-iron skillet. Batter should sizzle when it contacts the skillet. Bake 30 minutes or until the cornbread is light brown on top and springs back to the touch.
- Cut into wedges and serve.