Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From www.foodandhealth.com Per Cookgirl's recommendation, I'd like to say that although the recipe states "mix well" in step 4, be very careful about not overmixing the batter. A lighter hand works wonders here.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1 cup blue cornmeal, whole grain
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup egg whites or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan, baking for about 30 minutes until done. Let cool, and cut into 12 squares. Serve warm. Cover and refrigerate unused portions.
I also used 1 tablespoon agave in place of sugar and cut down the oil to 2 tablespoons like Smellyvegetarian did. I used unsweetened almond milk instead of skim milk. One batch made 12 muffins and they were absolutely delicious! This recipe is a real keeper. Thank you Stingo so much for posting such a delicious and healthy recipe!
I used 1 tablespoon agave in place of the sugar. Baked in a hot oiled cast iron pan. This was not too sweet but the sweetness came through in the cornmeal. This recipe has lots of play! You can add frozen or canned corn, spicy chile's for heat or cheese for more richness and creaminess. Good eats here!
I made this almost as directed for 3/10 Veggie swap & it came out perfect. I cooked it in a cast iron skillet. Thanks for a great cornbread, Stingo!