Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Except for the time to simmer this dish, it is really very easy to make! My mom used to make this. It is supposed to serve 6, but my husband and I think it only serves 3! The corn bread recipe is good all by itself, as is the Chili con Carne. This one can easily be doubled. Enjoy!
Chili con Carne
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can red kidney beans or 1 can chili bean
- 2 cans tomato sauce (can substitute stewed or canned tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy - you can leave this out or add more!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed clove
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons shortening
- Prepare the Chili con Carne first, since it will simmer for one hour:.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Slice onion and add to hot oil.
- Add ground beef and minced garlic.
- Cook and stir for about 5 minutes (or till brown).
- Add kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, optional cayenne pepper, and cloves.
- Simmer for an hour, or until thick.
- Salt and paprika to taste.
- Corn Bread: Sift together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in milk, eggs, and butter.
- Now to build the pie!
- In a 1.
- 5 quart casserole dish, pour the Chili con Carne and spread on bottom.
- Pour Corn Bread batter over the top to cover the Chili.
- Be careful not to get too much of the chili mixed with the batter.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
I'm going to fix this tonight. My mom always made it too and this triggered losts of good memories. Thank you