Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipes comes from Andrews Scenic Acres in Milton, Ontario.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen corn (or canned)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and peppers in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Remove from heat; add remaining ingredients except for ½ cup cheese.
- Pour into a greased 2 ½ quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese; let stand 5 minutes.
It wasn't until I'd made the recipe that I took time to read the other reviews & see that I wasn't the only one to pass on the eggs! Other than also cutting back on the amount of hot pepper sauce though, I pretty much followed the recipe & coupled with a salad, we had a satisfying lunch & then some! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]
Delicious. I used a Cabot extra sharp cheese and omitted the hot sauce. Can't handle the heat. I served this as a main course for 4 with a salad. This would be really nice to take to a pot luck. :)
Great casserole! I don't care for onions so used celery, and didn't use the eggs. I used 2 tsp hot sauce and it gave just enough spice. Really enjoyed this - thanks for posting the recipe!