Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Oven roasted corned beef. This is the only way I make corned beef now. It is almost a fix it and forget kind of dinner. It comes out very tender and moist. Add some rye bread and you are all set.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef (I like the flat cut)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout (NOT Draught)
- 6 -8 small golden potatoes
- 5 -7 small carrots
- 2 -3 small onions
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, cut into two wedges (keep the core in to help stay together while cooking)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Open and rinse the corned beef.
- Place the corned beef in a dutch oven and sprinkle the seaoning packet over the meat.
- Add 1 cup of water and the bottle of Guinness. The liquid should almost cover the meat. If it doesn't, add a little more water.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Cook for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. It should be fork tender.
- Remove the meat and place on a plate and cover with foil.
- Add 3-4 more cups of water to the juice in the dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce to a rapid simmer and add carrots, potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add onions and cook till almost tender. About 7-10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook for about 5 more minutes.(Just untill everything is fork tender.).
- Carefully place the corned beef on top of the cabbage to re-heat durning the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Slice corned beef across the grain.