Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My sister prepared this dish for me during one of my visits. This recipe is from the Bon Appetit, Nov issue. Sorry, cook times are estimates...didn't time it the one time I made it.
- 12 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups wild rice (7-1/2 oz)
- 6 1⁄4 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (2-1/2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces fully cooked smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- fresh chives or parsley
- Bring 5 c broth to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add wild rice and simmer until all liquid evaporates and rice is almost tender stirring occasionally (about 40 minutes).
- Meanwhile, blend 3.75 c corn and 1.5 c broth in processor until thick, almost smooth puree forms.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large Dutch oven, medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and onions and stir 3 minutes.
- Add remaining 6 c broth and bring soup to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cooked wild rice, corn puree (creamed corn) and remaining 2.5 c corn kernels to soup.
- Cook until wild rice is very tender and lavors blend, about 15 minutes or longer.
- Mix in half and half.
- Thin soup with more broth, if needed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate. Re-warm over medium-low heat.
- Garnish with cilantro.
My kids play basketball, one plays Friday nights and one plays Saturdays. I ws looking for something good that i could make and then come home and re heat that would be good. this did the trick! i added more carrots and more kielbasa but kept the other ingredients the same with the exception of not using the redused sodium chicken broth and it turned out really yummy! My family loved it and has asked me to make it again! This recipe makes alot! i have 3 boys and a little girl and my husband and myself and we all had 2 bowls each and i have leftovers!