Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy side dish.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3 cups frozen corn, partially thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a saucepan over med-high heat, melt butter and saute the sliced onion for about 3 minutes; add bell pepper and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add corn and seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes, or until corn is tender.
This is just like a corn salsa & I imagine would be just as good cold as hot. I used red capsicum as I didn't have green & used canned corn so cut down the cooking time. I also used fresh basil which added a nice freshness to the dish. I really enjoyed this but my fusspot DH wasn't as keen unfortunately. Thanks for posting!
An easy comforting side dish with lots of visual and flavor appeal. I love the combination of onions, tomatoes and corn. Including peppers was a tasty bonus which provided an additional crunch to the side dish. I also managed to make this a lower fat dish by cooking the onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and adding 2 tablespoons of water after 2 minutes. Thanks Parsley.