Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds good. From Bon Appetit, November 2000.
Make and share this Corn and Salmon Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, see note below
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 12 ounces salmon fillets, skinned, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Trim the fennel bulb halved lengthwise and thinly slice. Chop 2 tablespoons fronds and reserve.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, sliced fennel, carrot, garlic and bay leaf and sauté until vegetables are light golden, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and potato and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Purée milk and 1 cup corn in blender.
- Add corn purée, remaining 1/2 cup corn and salmon to pot.
- Simmer uncovered over medium heat just until salmon is opaque in center, about 5 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls.
- Sprinkle with reserved chopped fennel fronds.