1/2 Photos of Corn and Cheddar Chowder
This soup stands on it's own as a main course. Serve with Italian bread and a tossed green salad. To save time, before cooking I use the kitchen shears to cut up the bacon. To cook, stir bacon with a wooden spoon till crisp. This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 bacon, slices, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1Cook bacon in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- 2Add onion and butter to fat in pan and cook, stirring, until onion is softened.
- 3Add cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 4Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 5Whisk in broth and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- 6Add potato and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 minutes.
- 7Stir in cream and corn and return to a simmer.
- 8Add Cheddar, stirring just until cheese is melted (do not let boil), and season generously with salt & pepper.
- 9Serve topped with bacon.
- 10Serves 4.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn and Cheddar Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.6
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 1134.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 23.7 g