Prep 15 mins
Cook 42 mins
This is a corn-potato soup that is delicious! You can substitute 3 cups of frozen country-style hash browns for potatoes.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Crumble bacon.
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot drippings over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in potatoes and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and green chilies and cheese; simmer 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with crumbled bacon.