This is a corn-potato soup that is delicious! You can substitute 3 cups of frozen country-style hash browns for potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- 2Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- 3Crumble bacon.
- 4Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot drippings over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 5Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- 6Stir in potatoes and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 8Stir in tomatoes and green chilies and cheese; simmer 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- 9Season with salt to taste.
- 10Serve with crumbled bacon.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn and Bacon Soup from Southern Living
Serving Size: 1 (2085 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.5 mg
- Sodium 713.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with peppers