Recipe by BonnieZ
Very similar to the original without all the chemicals, additives and sodium.
Top Review by LanceHaverkamp
This recipe has nothing to do with "Uncle Ben's." It couldn't be further from what it's trying to copy; Uncle Ben's has no chicken, no turmeric, no cumin, and no ginger. The finished product is actually orange-colored from the turmeric. It's not bad, it's just not at all a copycat of Uncle Ben's as it claims.
- 1 teaspoon dry chopped onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken stock (or 2 cup water plus 1 tbsp low sodium chicken boullion granules)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄3 cup dry wild rice
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all of the spices in a medium saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Add the both types of rice, the chicken stock and butter (if using).
- Bring mixture to a boil and stir to combine.
- Cover saucepan with a lid, turn down heat to a simmer and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.