Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Served with a tasty chili sauce made with ground chuck, tomatoes, kidney beans and spices.
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 frankfurters
- chopped onion
- pickle relish or hot sauerkraut
- catsup, mustard
CHILI SAUCE (use 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (1 lb) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- FOR THE CHILI SAUCE: In large kettle, over medium heat, sauté ground chuck, stirring, until red color disappears. Pour off fat.
- Add chopped onion and chili powder, cook, stirring, about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- DRAIN ONE can of beans; use ONE CAN UNDRAINED. Add with rest of ingredients to meat, breaking up tomatoes with fork; stir to mix well. Simmer slowly, covered and stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavors are blended about 1 hour. Makes 2 quarts. This sauce can be frozen. Thaw overnight in refrigerator or several hours at room temperature.
- FOR THE HOT DOGS: Sprinkle rolls lightly with water; wrap tightly in foil. Heat in 350°F oven while heating frankfurters.
- In large saucepan, bring 1 quart water to boiling. Add frankfurters. Cover, and turn heat very low; heat 5 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat Chili Sauce.
- TO SERVE: Fill each warm roll with frankfurter; top with Chili Sauce. Pass onion, pickle relish, catsup and mustard. Makes 6 servings.
- McCalls Cookery.