Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I swiped this from the Food networks low carb and loving it, green bean casserole recipe. Isolating the parts that recreate the Consensed cream of mushroom soup part and fiddled a bit with it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, mushrooms, salt, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and thyme and cook until almost all the liquid is evaporated, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, and toss to combine.
Awesome! I'm looking for healthier alternatives so I thought I'd try this in place of the canned soup. As usual, anything you make from scratch tastes 100% better. Half way through cooking the mushrooms & onions, I noticed a pleasing fragrance that filled the kitchen. I said to my husband, "This smells SO good!" It took me about 15 minutes to reduce the liquid, however. When the liquid was reduced, I then pureed it in the food processor so it resembled the canned stuff.
I was making a dinner and realized that I was out of my canned Cream of Mushroom and this saved the day! It was so good and so easy I don't know if I will go back to my Campbell's...
Thanks for a great recipe that saved me in a pinch!
Wow! This recipe worked great. I used it in my beef stew recipe when I noticed that I was out of the canned stuff. This is so much fresher tasting and I will use it whenever I can. Thanks for posting!