Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Taste of Home Annual Recipes, this mac and cheese is yummy and very creamy.
- 2 (7 ounce) packages elbow macaroni
- 12 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8-ounces)
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Drain macaroni; add to the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley.
- Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
This is also my "go to" recipe for mac and cheese...Chef 663892..the recipe calls for TWO boxes of 7 oz macaroni...I use rotini and other kinds of pasta for the most part...
This recipe is great we have made it a few times, but added half a can of chopped jalepenos which made it even better! thanks!
This is my go to mac and cheese recipe for a night when I need some great comfort food. I make as written and wouldn't change a thing.