Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delicious reduced fat side dish that is fancy enough for guests, yet simple and perfect for your family's Sunday supper.
- 2⁄3 cup corn flake crumbs
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 2⁄3 cup shredded reduced-fat American cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked sliced carrots, drained
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine corn flake crumbs and 1 tablespoon melted margarine; set aside.
- In a skillet on low heat, saute onion in remaining 2 tablespoons margarine until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add milk.
- Increase heat to medium and stir constantly until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until smooth.
- Stir in carrots and parsley flakes.
- Spread in shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the corn flake crumb mixture.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.