2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 55 mins
Best in the world- takes two days to prepare
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups corn oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups carrots, grated (about a 1 lb. bag)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- to taste cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, soft
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces coconut, sweetened, shredded
- 1In a heavy saucepan,blend well the flour,sugar and salt. Gradually stir in the cream.
- 2Add the butter.
- 3Cook and stir the mixture over a low heat until the butter has melted, then let simmer for 20-30 minutes until golden brown in color, stirring occasionally.
- 4Cool to lukewarm.
- 5Stir in the nuts and vanilla.
- 6Let cool and refrigerate, preferably overnight. If too thick to spread, bring to room temperature before using.
- 7Carrot Cake Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 8Have ready a greased and floured 10" tube cake pan.
- 9In a large bowl Whisk together the corn oil and sugar.
- 10Sift together the flour, cinnamon,baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift half the dry ingredients into the sugar-oil mixture and blend.
- 11Alternately, sift in the rest of the dry ingredients while adding the eggs, one by one. Combine well.
- 12Add the carrots, raisins, and pecans.
- 13Pour into the prepared tube pan and bake for 70 minutes.
- 14Cool upright on a cooling rack If you fare not using the cake that day it can be removed from the pan,wrapped in plastic and stored at room temp.
- 15Cheese Cream Filling Cream the butter well.
- 16Add the cream cheese and beat until blended.
- 17Sift in the sugar and add the vanilla.
- 18If it is to soft to spread, chill a bit.Chill if not using immediately, but bring to room Temp.
- 19before spreading.
- 20Assembly Preheat oven to 300 F.
- 21Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until it colors lightly.
- 22Toss the coconut occasionally while it is baking so that it browns evenly Cool completely.
- 23Have the filling and the frosting at a spreadable consistency.
- 24Loosen the cake in it's pan and invert onto a serving plate. With a long serving knife, carefully split the cake into three horizontal layers.
- 25Spread the filling between the Layers.
- 26Spread the frosting over the top and sides.
- 27Pat the coconut onto the sides of the cake. If desired, save 1/2 cup of the frosting and color 1/2 with green food coloring 1/2 with orange, pipe on the top to form little carrots
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Commissary Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1011.7
- Calories from Fat 606
- Total Fat 67.3 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 146.0 mg
- Sodium 401.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 80.1 g
- Protein 7.3 g