Prep 2 hrs 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
Best in the world- takes two days to prepare
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄4 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups carrots, grated (about a 1 lb. bag)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- to taste cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, soft
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces coconut, sweetened, shredded
- In a heavy saucepan,blend well the flour,sugar and salt. Gradually stir in the cream.
- Add the butter.
- Cook and stir the mixture over a low heat until the butter has melted, then let simmer for 20-30 minutes until golden brown in color, stirring occasionally.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in the nuts and vanilla.
- Let cool and refrigerate, preferably overnight. If too thick to spread, bring to room temperature before using.
- Carrot Cake Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Have ready a greased and floured 10" tube cake pan.
- In a large bowl Whisk together the corn oil and sugar.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon,baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift half the dry ingredients into the sugar-oil mixture and blend.
- Alternately, sift in the rest of the dry ingredients while adding the eggs, one by one. Combine well.
- Add the carrots, raisins, and pecans.
- Pour into the prepared tube pan and bake for 70 minutes.
- Cool upright on a cooling rack If you fare not using the cake that day it can be removed from the pan,wrapped in plastic and stored at room temp.
- Cheese Cream Filling Cream the butter well.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until blended.
- Sift in the sugar and add the vanilla.
- If it is to soft to spread, chill a bit.Chill if not using immediately, but bring to room Temp.
- before spreading.
- Assembly Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until it colors lightly.
- Toss the coconut occasionally while it is baking so that it browns evenly Cool completely.
- Have the filling and the frosting at a spreadable consistency.
- Loosen the cake in it's pan and invert onto a serving plate. With a long serving knife, carefully split the cake into three horizontal layers.
- Spread the filling between the Layers.
- Spread the frosting over the top and sides.
- Pat the coconut onto the sides of the cake. If desired, save 1/2 cup of the frosting and color 1/2 with green food coloring 1/2 with orange, pipe on the top to form little carrots
I use this recipe all the time without the caramel filling and without the coconut. It's wonderful!!! Get compliments everytime. Just start at step 7 and continue...
Awesome is what comes to mind when I talk about this Carrot Cake, and believe me, it is! Rich and moist and addicting to say the least. Such great taste!!! I left out the raisins cause I don't like them, but I love this cake so much it will be my birthday cake from now on, and I can't wait to have it again!