Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I made this today because I couldn't find a recipe that had all my ingredients and would be around my standards. It is so colorful and packed with vitamins and flavor, you would never know it is vegan. You may add whatever you want, even tofu! I loved it so much I had to share it. Feeds two.
- 1 small acorn squash, cut in half cleaned
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil, cooked and drained
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 small zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- Cook the lentils as indicated on the package, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar when cooking. If you are running out of time, use canned lentils. Set aside.
- While the lentils cook, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and clean the squash, cut in half, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a oven proof Pyrex place the two halves face down. Place in oven for 30 minutes or until you insert a fork and it just slides.
- While that cooks, oil a medium pan and add the onions and the garlic, let brown. Add the lentils, then add the rest of the veggies, and all the spices. Sauté until nice and cooked. Add all the spices, set aside.
- When the squash is done, turn them face up, spoon the veggies on top until full, sprinkle the nuts on top and cook 5-6 more minutes.
- Place in plate, serve with rice. If you have extra veggie mix sprinkle on the side of the squash.