Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We visited the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC and dined in the Stable Cafe. I just had to get the cookbook after we had a fantastic lunch. This zesty & super yummy slaw perfectly complements sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs. It is also he essential ingredient in a Carolina barbecued pulled pork sandwich. Recipe from: "Biltmore, Our Table To Yours, Chef's Selection Cookbook". Cooking time is reduction time, not cooling. Plan ahead for cooling & refrigeration. I only added 1 C of dressing to me coleslaw and it was plenty. Be warned, it will get creamier as it sits.
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic, garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 6 cups shredded cabbage, slaw mix works
- 1⁄2 cup shedded carrot
- For the dressing: In a saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar and all dry spices.
- Over medium-low heat, simmer until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and cool completely. This can be done ahead of time.
- In a food processor: Add the vinegar reduction gradually to the mayonnaise, pulsing to incorporate well. This can also be done in a bowl with a whisk. Can now be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For the slaw, combine the cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Add as much dressing as you like. Go easy, I doubt you will add it all. Mix well. (*If you have some dressing leftover, store for up to 2 weeks in the fridge for future use).
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.