Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here's a unique and delicious take on chicken salad that has an interesting list of ingredients that combine for an exotic yet mild flavor. For a spectacular presentation, serve in a hollowed out loaf of crusty bread. Cut into wedges, bread and all, to serve. The original recipe is from a cookbook by Susan Brown Draudt entitled "Food Processor Cookery," published by HPBooks, Inc. in 1981 and 1984. Please note the recipe does not require a food processor and is a great way to use leftover roast chicken. Even the dark meat! For best results, please use Major Grey mild mango chutney with ginger and McCormick red curry powder. Both are widely available in larger supermarkets with international foods sections.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 green onions
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chutney
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- For best results, please use Major Grey mild mango chutney with ginger and McCormick red curry powder.
- Cook and cool chicken, cut in 1/2 inch dice. Drain water chestnuts pat dry and quarter. Cut celery in half the long way and dice about 1/4 inch. Thinly slice green onions, white and green parts. Drain pineapple, pat dry and quarter each chunk. Toast walnuts and chop coarsely.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir gently with a large rubber spatula, In a separate small bowl, combine chutney, sour cream, mayonnaise and curry powder. Blend well. Add about half of the dressing to the salad ingredients and stir gently with a large rubber spatula. Add additional dressing to taste, but don't overwhelm the salad with dressing. Save any remaining dressing in the refrigerator. Turn the salad into a clean serving bowl and cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours until very cold.