Recipe by Tarlain
I know there is a ton of different styles. This is the one I found that I like the best.
Top Review by Chef jshaffer
Love this stuff!! If you have never tried colcannon because it sounds like an odd combination, go ahead and try it. You will be very glad you did. This is a great Irish dish to have on St. Patrick's Day.
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 cooked potatoes, mashed or 4 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cabbage, onion, and water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 8 minutes or until tender, but not mushy.
- Drain cabbage and onion.
- Add mashed potatoes, milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well to blend and heat through.
- Serve warm, as a side dish with meat, chicken or fish.